September 19, 2012
By: Jessica Ehrentraut, MS, RD, CHES - Macaroni Kid Port Saint Lucie Contributing Nutrition Adviser
Love stuffed peppers but not all the fat and calories that come with the ground beef and rice that we often use to fill them? Here's a healthier alternative that is a complete meal. Each serving is 420 calories and has 3 servings of vegetables, and 1 serving each of protein and fat.
- 8 small bell peppers - use red, yellow, orange & green peppers to keep it colorful!
- 1 pound ground turkey (extra lean)
- 1 cup small diced carrots
- 1 cup small diced onions
- 1 cup small diced zucchini
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 oz feta cheese
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or Panko bread crumbs
- cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste (if you like some spice)
- 1 large can season crushed or diced tomatoes
- Sautee garlic, onions, carrots & zucchini.
- Add ground turkey to sautee. Cook until turkey is fully done, season with cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add bread crumbs and feta cheese to turkey mixture.
- Fill peppers with 3 oz scoops of turkey mixture and place in pan.
- Pour crushed or diced tomatoes over the tops of the peppers.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until peppers are tender.